|6/30/2014 7:41:00 AM|
Central Catholic breaks ground on building to be named for monsignor
Central Catholic High School image
Architect’s rendering shows the future Murphy Center at Central Catholic High School.
Central Catholic High School broke ground on the Monsignor Tim Murphy Center last month after a capital campaign that raised almost $11 million. The event also marked the start of Central Catholic’s 75th year.
The new space is a multi-purpose wing that will link the Stark Street wing with the area east of the library and will enclose the courtyard. Even though the school is currently at maximum enrollment, “the purpose of the Monsignor Tim Murphy Center is not to expand our facilities, but to improve the quality of our facilities,” says John Harrington, Central Catholic’s president.
The new building is being named in honor of former school president Monsignor Timothy Murphy, who graduated from Central Catholic in 1958 and returned as a teacher after entering the priesthood in 1969. Monsignor Murphy served as principal before being named president in 1995.
The building includes upgrades meant to help in education. The second floor will include classrooms and a support services space for students with special needs. Located on the first floor will be a counseling center and student commons, which can be used as a gathering place for students and large group presentations as well as an event space. On the lower level will be a music center which will provide a permanent place for band and choral programs. An updated weight room will also be located on this level.
Construction began in mid June and is scheduled to be completed at the beginning of the 2015-’16 school year.
The media and the public are invited to follow along as construction progresses at facebook.com/ccrams, twitter.com/ccrams, and centralcatholichigh.org/murphycenter. Information about events commemorating Central Catholic’s 75th anniversary can be found at centralcatholichigh.org/75.
Article Comment Submissions