On November 24, 1913, in a small house, a couple of blocks away from the current St. Rose Church in Northeast Portland, two Holy Child Sisters, Mother Mary Genevieve and Mother Mary Bernadette, established a school to serve the children of St. Rose Parish. The school grew into what is now called Archbishop Howard School at St. Rose.
A celebration is set for 4 p.m.-9 p.m.Saturday, June 1, at the parish, located at NE 53rd and Alameda. The day includes food carts, a section for adult drinks, a zone for kids and crafts, plus an art and history walk. The Free Dress Fellas, school alumni, will play music and a Mass is set. Special guests will include the Holy Child Sisters.