9/14/2011 12:40:00 PM Beaverton - Valley Catholic School
Valley Catholic School photo
Archbishop John Vlazny blesses the library at new Valley Catholic School building.
BEAVERTON — The Sisters of St. Mary of Oregon on Sept. 9 hosted a dedication ceremony for Valley Catholic School’s new elementary and middle School building on their Beaverton campus.
Archbishop John Vlazny led the dedication ceremony and blessed the building in the company of Beaverton Mayor Dennis Doyle, the Sisters and hundreds from the Valley Catholic School community.
The new building replaces temporary spaces on campus that were serving as classrooms for students in kindergarten through eighth grade. Kindergarten, seventh and eighth grade classes were all in portables, and grades one through six were housed in a wing of the Sisters' Motherhouse Convent, built in the 1930s. The new school building will incorporate all students in kindergarten through fifth grade in one wing, and the middle school students from sixth through eighth grade in another.
Construction on the $16 million building began in May 2010 under the management of Howard Wright Constructors. It opened for business for the new school year.
The Sisters worked closely with Soderstrom Architects to design a green building with many sustainable features. It is expected that the new building will be rated Gold by the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Council. The building features customized stained glass windows, a green rooftop and science labs.
The dedication of the new building falls in the middle of the Sisters of St. Mary of Oregon’s 125th anniversary. The Sisters and their mission have been a part of the Beaverton community since 1886. Their 43-acre campus off of Murray Boulevard between TV Highway and Farmington Road is home to Valley Catholic School — pre-k through 12 —and Maryville Nursing Home. People of all ages are served there.