Staff and news service reportsFour priests in the Archdiocese of Portland are celebrating their 60th anniversaries of ordination this year; five are celebrating their 50th anniversaries; and three priests are celebrating their 25th anniversaries.
The four celebrating 60th anniversaries are Father Robert Cieslinski, Father Cornelius Linehan, Father Joseph M. McMahon, and Father Chester Wrzaszczak, ordained in 1943. All are retired.
The five celebrating 50-year anniversaries are Msgr. Frank Campbell, Father Vincent Cunniff, Father Arthur Dernbach, Jesuit Father Frank Mueller, and Father Dan Reynolds. Of the five, Father Dan Reynolds is still assigned to a parish, St. Mark in Eugene. He is the oldest archdiocesan pastor.
The three priests celebrating 25 years are Father Timothy Mockaitis, Father J. Michael Morrissey and Father Richard Sirianni.
Father Robert Cieslinski was born in 1918 in Portland. He attended St. Ignatius Grade School, Mount Angel Seminary High School and College, and then studied theology at St. Edward's Seminary (now St. Thomas) in Kenmore, Wash.
He was ordained Dec. 18, 1943, at St. Mary's Cathedral by Archbishop Edward Howard.
He served as an assistant pastor at St. Lawrence, Portland; and at St. Cecilia's (later Queen of Peace), Portland.
Father Cieslinski served as pastor of St. Michael, Oakridge, from 1953 to 1959; St. Paul, Eugene, from 1959 to 1973; St. Matthew, Hillsboro, from 1973 to 1983.
Father Cornelius Linehan was born in 1918. He attended St. Edward Seminary High School, College and Seminary. He was ordained Dec. 18, 1943, by Archbishop Edward Howard at St. Mary Cathedral. Father Cornelius Linehan's younger brother, Father J.J. Linehan, was also an Archdiocese of Portland priest.
Father Cornelius Linehan served as an associate pastor at St. Francis, Portland; Sacred Heart, Medford; and St. Mary Cathedral, Portland. His first pastorate was at St. John, Reedsport, from 1954 to 1961. He was also pastor of St. Mark, Eugene, 1961Ã±68; Holy Trinity, Beaverton, 1968Ã±79; and St. John the Apostle, Oregon City, 1979Ã±88.
Father Joseph M. McMahon was born in 1914 in Pennsylvania. He attended St. Francis de Sales Seminary High School in McKees Rocks, Pa.; Duquesne College in Pittsburgh; and St. Vincent College, Loretto, Pa. He attended seminary at St. Francis Seminary in Loretto, Pa. He did post-graduate work at Catholic University in Washington, D.C.
He was ordained in Altoona, Pa., in 1943 by Archbishop Richard Gwefoyle for the Archdiocese of Portland. During his busy career, he worked for Catholic Charities, as diocesan consultor, as director of Catholic Services for Children, director of Catholic Family Services, director of Catholic Charities and spiritual director of the St. Vincent de Paul Particular Council of Portland.
He was assistant pastor of the Madeleine from 1943 to 1950. After a study break, he was pastor of St. Pius X from 1955 to 1984, and of St. Edward, North Plains, from 1984 to 1995.
Father Chester Wrzaszczak was born in 1917 in Chicago. He attended Quigley Preparatory Seminary in Chicago; St. Mary of the Lake College Seminary in Mundelein, Ill.; St. Mary Seminary in Baltimore, Md.; and the Catholic University in Washington, D.C.
Father Wrzaszczak was ordained Nov. 17, 1943, in Baltimore, Md. For the La Crosse, Wis., Diocese. He was incardinated into the Archdiocese of Portland in 1959.
In the Portland Archdiocese, Father Wrzaszczak served as associate pastor at Immaculate Heart, Portland and at Star of the Sea, Astoria. Father Wrzaszczak was in residence at St. Mary's, Eugene, during the time that he was an instructor at St. Francis High School. He served as pastor of St. Rose, Portland, from 1961 to 1968; at St. Francis, Portland, from 1968 to 1970; at St. Francis, Roy, from 1970 to 1972; at St. Anne, Portland, from 1972 to 1984, when he retired.
Msgr. Frank Campbell was born in 1925 in Rockwell, Iowa. He earned a bachelor of arts from Loras College and a master of arts from St. Paul Seminary in St. Paul, Minn. He was ordained at St. Paul Cathedral on May 30, 1953, by Bishop James Byrne.
Msgr. Campbell taught at Central Catholic High School, Portland (1953Ã±63), and was principal of Regis High School, Stayton (1963Ã±67). He served as a chaplain with the Oregon Army National Guard (1959Ã±78), concurrent with other assignments.
He returned to Central Catholic as principal and director (1967Ã±75). He was pastor of Queen of Peace, Portland (1975Ã±80), St. Mary Magdalene, Portland, (1980Ã±88), and St. Mary Cathedral (1988Ã±91). He then worked as chaplain at St. Mary of the Valley and in 1992 took early retirement due to ill health. He stayed busy enough helping out at various parishes after his retirement that he accepted the job as pastor at St. Edward in North Plains when a need arose there in 1996.
This time, he says he's really retiring.
Father Vincent Cunniff was born in 1920 in Marshfield. He attended Portland University and Oregon State College, and then St. Thomas Seminary in Denver. He was ordained for the Archdiocese of Portland on May 30, 1953, at St. Mary's Cathedral in Portland by Archbishop Edward Howard. He has worked as assistant pastor at Sacred Heart, Medford; St. Joseph, Salem; Immaculate Conception, Stayton; and St. Peter, Portland. He was pastor of St. Michael Parish, Oakridge, and St. Henry Parish, Dexter, from 1966 to 1967, and then of St. Peter Parish in Eugene from 1967 to 1980. From 1981 until his retirement in 1996, he served as pastor of St. Mary Parish in Florence.
Father Arthur Dernbach was born in 1926 in Portland. He graduated from Central Catholic in 1944 and served the next two years in the Navy. He earned a bachelor of arts from Mount Angel and then went to the North American College in Vatican City. He received a licentiate in sacred theology in Rome and a master of arts from the University of Portland. He was ordained in 1953 in Rome for the Archdiocese of Portland.
Father Dernbach has served on the faculty at Central Catholic (1954-67), principal of St. Mary High School, Medford (1967Ã±74) and as pastor of Our Lady of the Mountain, Ashland (1971Ã±72).
Father Dernbach was director of education for the Archdiocese of Portland (1974Ã±78) and principal of Central Catholic (1978Ã±82). He was administrator and pastor of Star of the Sea, Astoria (1983), and pastor of St. Thomas More, Portland (1983Ã±97). He also served as director of vocations at the pastoral center (1987Ã±91) and director of the permanent diaconate (1992Ã±94). He has served as administrator and pastor of St. Boniface, Sublimity, since 1997.
Jesuit Father Frank Mueller was born in 1922 in Portland. He attended St. Stephen School in Southeast Portland and St. John High School in Milwaukie. He earned bachelor's and master's degrees in philosophy from Gonzaga University in Spokane and a degree in canon law from the Gregorian in Rome.
He took his first vows as a Jesuit at the Jesuit Novitiate in Sheridan. He continued his first studies at Mount St. Michael's and then took his regency at Seattle Preparatory School and Seattle University. He studied theology at Alma College. He was ordained June 20, 1953, at St. Aloysius in Spokane by Bishop Charles White.
Father Mueller was a professor of moral theology and canon law at Regis College in Toronto before becoming a novice master for the Oregon Jesuits in 1961. At that time, the Jesuit novitiate was located in Sheridan in the Yamhill Valley.
After leaving Sheridan, Father Mueller was appointed first chancellor and then vicar general for the Diocese of Fairbanks, Alaska, a post he held until 1996. He also served on the marriage tribunal and was pastor of St. Patrick's Parish in Barrow, Alaska. On weekends, Father Mueller commuted 500 miles by plane to celebrate Mass in Alaska's northernmost village. At age 78, Father Mueller returned to Oregon to serve at St. Michael's Church in Oakridge.
Father Daniel Reynolds was born in 1926 in Rainier. He is the Archdiocese of Portland's senior diocesan parish priest.
Father Reynolds attended Mount Angel Seminary High School and College and then took his seminary training at St. Thomas Seminary in Kenmore, Wash. He was ordained May 30, 1953, in Portland by Archbishop Edward Howard. Father Reynolds served as an associate pastor at St. Charles, Portland; St. Thomas More, Portland; and St. Mary Cathedral, Portland.
He became pastor of St. Peter, Newberg, in 1967, a position he held until he was named pastor of Queen of Peace, Salem, in 1970. Father Reynolds left Queen of Peace in 1978 to become pastor of St. Anne, Grants Pass, in 1978. He left that parish in 1988 to serve as pastor at St. Alice, Springfield. Since 2000 he has served as pastor of St. Mark, Eugene.
Father Timothy Mockaitis was born in 1951 in Chicago and attended seminary at St. Vincent de Paul in Lemont, Ill., St. Mary's in Perryville, Mo., and Mount Angel, where he earned a bachelor of arts and a master of divinity. He was ordained Aug. 15, 1978, at St. Mary Church in Pendleton by Bishop Thomas Connolly for the Diocese of Baker. He was incardinated into the Archdiocese of Portland in 1993. He served at several churches in Eastern Oregon, including Our Lady of the Valley in La Grande, St. Peter's in The Dalles, and St. Francis of Assisi in Milton Freewater. In the Archdiocese of Portland, he served as parochial vicar at St. Cecilia in Beaverton (1990Ã±91); as administrator at St. Paul, Eugene (1991Ã±93); and then as pastor there (1993Ã±99). In 1999, he moved to Portland and became vocations director at the pastoral center and also priest-moderator at St. Mary, Vernonia. He also assisted at St. John the Baptist in Milwaukie.
Father Mockaitis became pastor of St. John the Apostle in Oregon City in 2002.
Father John Morrissey was born in 1950 in El Paso, Texas. He attended St. Lawrence Seminary in Mount Calvary, Wis., and St. Mary Seminary in Garrison, N.Y.; then attended Rivier in Nashua, N.H., and St. Anselm College in Manchester, N.H. His seminary training took place at Maryknoll, N.Y.
He was ordained in 1978 at St. Patrick Cathedral in New York City for the Capuchin Franciscans by Cardinal Terence Cooke.
Father Morrissey was incardinated into the Archdiocese of Portland in 1992. Since his arrival in the archdiocese he served briefly as parochial vicar at St. Joseph, Salem, then for a year as parochial vicar at St. John, Milwaukie. He has served as administrator, then pastor, of St. Anne in east Portland since 1990 - a post in which his knowledge of Spanish has been essential.
Father Richard Sirianni was born in 1951 in Portland. He attended Central Catholic High School and Portland State University, during which time he lived in the archdiocesan House of Studies. He then attended Mount Angel Seminary. He also did post-graduate studies at Notre Dame.
Father Sirianni was ordained Oct. 14, 1978, by Archbishop Power.
He has served as associate pastor at St. Paul, Silverton; St. Mary Cathedral, Portland; and St. Pius X, Portland. His first pastorate was at Blessed Sacrament, Portland, from 1986 to 1988, when he was named pastor of St. Mary Magdalene. He has been pastor of St. Henry, Gresham, since 1998.