5/13/2014 9:54:00 AM New hospital serves Pendleton
St. Anthony Hospital photo
Pendleton is home to a new 25-bed critical access hospital.
PENDLETON — Late last year, the doors to the old St. Anthony Hospital closed and a new hospital opened here. Baker Diocese Bishop Liam Carey blessed and dedicated the new 25-bed critical access facility. It has been serving ever since.
During the ceremony, Franciscan Sister Esther Anderson shared stories about the history of the hospital and the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia’s presence in Pendleton:
In 1901, Dr. F.W. Vincent gave Mother Mary Stanislaus with the Sisters of St. Francis, $250 to open the first hospital in Umatilla County. She supplemented those funds by putting donation canisters in bars throughout Pendleton. Response was so favorable that the hospital opened in 1902.
Throughout the years, four additions have been built on the 9-acre site. Constrained by a state highway on one side and railroad tracks on the other, the facility eventually had no more room for expansion so medical leaders opted to build a new hospital on 93 acres purchased in Pendleton’s Southgate area.
The hospital’s new address is 2801 St. Anthony Way. For more information, log on to sahpendleton.org.