|10/21/2013 2:37:00 PM|
Historic house re-opens on Marylhurst campus
Marylhurst University image
A rendering of the renovated Belluschi house at Marylhurst.
After more than a year of reconstruction, the small but historically significant home designed by Portland architect Pietro Belluschi and donated to Marylhurst University has opened.
The 911-square-foot, mid-century home — donated to the university by Belluschi enthusiast Tim Mather — was designed for a Lake Oswego couple in 1951. It is believed to be one of only a few Belluschi-designed residences that remains unaltered, and the only one of its kind in Lake Oswego.
The Italian-born Belluschi was involved in the design of an estimated 1,000 buildings over his 50-year career, including the Portland Art Museum, the Julliard School of Music in New York and the chapel at the University of Portland. He is known as the creator of the Northwest style of architecture, and his homes were constructed to take advantage of their natural surroundings and available light.