9/21/2012 9:03:00 AM Reconstruction begins on historic Belluschi house
Belluschi House at Marylhurst is ready for renovation.
Reconstruction of a small but historically significant home, designed by Portland architect Pietro Belluschi and donated to Marylhurst University, will begin this fall.
The 911-square-foot, mid-century-modern home, donated to the university by Tim Mather of MCM Construction, was designed for a Lake Oswego couple in 1951. At the south end of campus, it is believed to be one of only a few Belluschi-designed residences that remains unaltered.
The Italian-born Belluschi was involved in the design of an estimated 1,000 buildings over his 50-year career, including the Portland Art Museum, the Julliard School of Music in New York, St. Mary’s Cathedral in San Francisco and the University of Portland chapel. He is considered the creator of the Northwest style of architecture, with homes constructed to take advantage of natural surroundings and available light.
Major contributions of money, materials and services have come from the Kinsman Foundation, Belluschi family members, Marylhurst trustees, the Bank of Oswego and Coffman Excavation, among many others.