The Philadelphia Archdiocese will consolidate some facilities and close some buildings on the campus of St. Charles Borromeo Seminary.
The huge building that houses the college division, known as the lower side, will be closed and the seminary consolidated into what is now the theology division, or upper side. The seminary will seek to lease or sell underutilized buildings and property, but at the same time implement new spiritual and academic programs for seminarians and lay adult theology students.
The plan will see the campus reduced from its current 75 acres to 30 acres.
Peak enrollment was 534 seminarians in 1960, and the peak ordination year was 1937 with 55 ordained.
Enrollment is dropping at this time, to 130 seminarians.
Currently, 45 men are in the college division; 18 are studying for Philadelphia and the rest were studying for other dioceses.